Thursday, September 30, 2010

Getting Perspective

This week's Sm'Arties class is inspired by this little handout from Practical Pages (Now THERE'S an on-the-ball homeschool Mum!  I love knowing that many many miles away (or kilometers?) another homeschool family is reaching out to share the wealth of their knowledge and resources Thank you, Nadine!). 

Now that we have our pencils sharpened, this week we did a few quick drawings to demonstrate perspective.  As I was drawing along, I encouraged the children to do "kindergarten-style trees" - quick, quick!

Their homework is to bring back 7 little drawings on a  sheet of 11"x17" paper, showing these seven laws of perspective.  I hope they all "see" foreshortening better than I do :)  I expect this little lesson to yield fruit in the way of better drawings and paintings all year long.  I wish I had learned this when I was a child.

I took one single picture, and then my camera's battery quit.  Here's the picture:

This Sm'Artie's line of trees show both  principles that things nearer are drawn larger and further down on the page.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

    I'm glad we're a part of this group, because if we weren't I'd be so envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, SG - remember when you proposed we start meeting together and asked us to pray about it and consider it? Remember what I said? I said, "I don't have to pray about it - I've already been praying and hoping we families could get together!" A year + later I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful application! It is great that the children could draw their own pictures next to the explaination. I'm sure you'll hear them point out perspective in other artworks in the future.

    (Thanks for your kind comments and link :))

    ReplyDelete